The First Frost Harvest

Introduction

So since we were unprepared to actually deal appropriately with a first freeze, we have and are certainly paying the price for it. Instead of relaxing in the evenings we’re having to work all the way till bed clearing out stuff that we pulled out of the garden, and we haven’t even gotten the stuff that takes so much time. (The peppers going to be quite a time suck). Apparently the better approach would have said at the beginning of November that we should start “taking profits” as I call it, and process some of this stuff on our own schedule and in a more even pace. The basil was one in particular that we were unprepared to handle properly. The last time we pulled all the peppers off (we were supposed to have a hurricane) it definitely took us days to get through cutting/cleaning and the dehydrating the peppers. We ended up with lots and lots of dehydrated peppers.

Here I’m posting all the things that we have harvested as roughly the end of our spring/summer season. In summary it was 18 gallons of sweet potatoes, 8ish gallons of sweet potato greens, a ton of basil, 8 gallons of sweet peppers, and 3 gallons of hot peppers.

I bet some of you from more Northern climates are probably thinking about what I haven’t even pointed out yet. That our first Frost was midway through November. Turns out right around here that is “right on time”. Not too early, not too late. When we went to the Ben Falk PDC that was their first frost. That was the first week of September…

Well without further adieu, here are the pictures!

Basil Galore

IMG_1339

Thai Basil

IMG_1341

Purple and Genovese basil.

IMG_1397

Here are all the basil hanging up.

 

Sweet Potatoes

We harvested a lot of sweet potatoes before the two frosts. Roughly we got 18 gallons of sweet potatoes. 10 of which were all of one variety (Vardeman bushing type) which I will be growing in excess next year. If I would have made 3 of these beds instead of 1, with 2 other beds, I’d have 30 gallons of sweet potatoes right now. Oh well, at least we get to try some different varieties out! The 2nd most producing was Beauregard and the last was Georgia Jet.

We first harvested the potatoes, and then started processing the greens. We went through all the greens finding the good edible ones and clipped off just the leaves. The next day we put them in 5 gallon buckets full of water and swooshed them all around to clean them up. Christine then spun them all dry with a salad spinner. It was quite cold out when we took the photos. We’ve made them in a medium sized batch of Sauerkraut, we ate some tonight in a Korean stirfry, a bunch of them are sitting in a brine to be made into kimchi, and we still have almost a 5 gallon bucket left of them… Phew, we have no shortage of greens.

IMG_1337

IMG_1338

IMG_1354

I measured this thing out to be 3.5 pounds. That’s one big sweet potato.

IMG_1356

These giant gourd looking sweet potatoes were about 2.5 pounds a piece.

IMG_1357

IMG_1352

Georgia Jet on the left, Beauregards on the right.

IMG_1362

She wasn’t so happy I took a photo of her in her pajamas.

IMG_1364

Yummie greens.

Other

IMG_1340

We had to pull in all the seedlings that I’m starting. I have trays of tree seeds, and even some fall/winter green seedlings that I haven’t put out in the garden yet.

IMG_1342

Yet again we’ve had to deal with pulling every pepper in the garden out. Sheesh, probably no less than 8 gallons of sweet peppers and probably around 3 gallons of hot peppers.

Conclusion

Well we have already processed the basil (its drying), we have used/started to use half the sweet potato greens, and everything else remains. We will be attempting to cure the sweet potatoes in the kitchen. In fact, normally we wouldn’t have any central anything going, but we’re running the heat just to keep the house in the upper 70s. Sheesh.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *