Tuning up a Vintage Disston One Man Logging Saw

Introduction

IMG_1241So I shared my tuning up and restoration of a Dunlap logging saw, now the tuning up of a Vintage Disston One Man saw. This saw I actually got for cheaper than the Dunlap. (Roughly 35 dollars total) and it came in great shape as it. It did not have the rust issues that the Dunlap did so I didn’t have to put it through a little electrolysis or adding some extra linseed oil. The only thing it needed was a little jointing, lowering of the rakers, and then just a tuneup on the teeth. Unlike the other saw, this saw is mainly made for cutting hardwoods (either felling or bucking).

Jointing

In general the saw wasn’t too far off as far as the height of the various components, but I did notice that some of the rakers were way too high up. One of the problems with this saw are the teeth aren’t that long, so taking much metal off to make it perfect isn’t quite what I think would be a good idea. So I just ran the jointer over a little bit with a mil bastard file, just until I saw the tiny tips of silver on the teeth.
IMG_1243

IMG_1245

Filing Rakers

Next I filed the rakers. I finally have the full set of various files I ordered so this was an EXTREMELY quick process by comparison to the other. Here you can see me using a larger file than the last saws and was able to take the rakers down fast. These guys definitely needed some filing.
IMG_1247

Filing the Teeth

I then filed each tooth with a 8inch cant saw. This thing was absolutely awesome for working on teeth. It is triangle in shape but 2 of the sides are smaller than the base, so that I could see what I was doing much much easier, but still be able to switch to a larger side if I wanted.
IMG_1249

IMG_1248

Conclusion

That’s all really. I still need to set the teeth and after testing it out, it definitely needs its teeth set. They came really wide so the saw kind of loses control and ends up cutting just way too large of a kerf. I started playing around with moving the teeth but ran out of day to do it. I actually did this entire process all at once, taking roughly 4 hours to complete. (Looking online this seems to be about the standard amount of time it takes). I guess that is what having the proper equipment and knowing what to do, will do.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *